Willow Bunch Museum
Plan Your Visit
The Willow Bunch Museum & Heritage Society was established in 1972 by a group of local students through a government summer employment program. The Willow Bunch Museum was originally housed in the old Union Hospital. That 10 bed hospital served the community from 1946 to 1969 when it was closed due to government cut backs.
The Willow Bunch Giant, Edouard Beaupré,
and his tragic story were a part of the museum from the beginning.
Today, the Museum is housed in an artifact
itself, a Convent school built by the Sisters of the Cross in 1914.
During the early years it was a boarding school for both boys & girls.
In 1923 the boarding school became a girls only school. In the 1950's
there was no longer a need for boarding facilities. At that time the convent
became part of the public school system where the sisters continued to teach
until 1983 when it was closed due to declining school enrolment.
The Town of Willow Bunch took over the building from the Sisters of the Cross in 1985 and it became a Municipal Heritage Site in March 1986. The ACFC purchased the building later in 1986 and under took some major renovations. Afterwards it became the French Cultural Centre run by the FTS and the new home of the ever expanding Museum.
Today the building is owned by the Town of Willow Bunch, but it remains the home of the French Cultural Centre and the Museum.
The Museum now occupies 2 full floors with history and artifacts donated by local and former residents. It is constantly evolving, improving and expanding the existing displays and, adding new artifacts and displays that complete the long history of the community.
Copyright © 2005-2013 Willow Bunch Museum & Heritage Society
Website created by Allan Charles Mondor